Monday, May 26, 2008

A Day For Memorials

How did you celebrate this Memorial Day holiday? Did you attend a parade? Did you visit a cemetary? Or was it just a rare day off?

For the first time in more than 30 years, I marched in a parade, bringing back a flood of memories.

I was born on "traditional" Memorial Day, May 30th. My first birthdays were spent watching, and later being in a parade, followed by a big family picnic complete with a birthday cake.

As a former Marine, I've always held a soft spot in my heart for veterans and all things Marine. So after I joined Northville's Marine Corps League earlier this year, how could I say no to walking in the Memorial Day parade.

The day was perfect...just the right temperature, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, the Northville High School Marching Band, and the crowds lining the street to honor the veterans riding motorcycles, marching, and riding in cars.

It was wonderful to hear the support from the crowd, something that was unheard of in the 1970s when I served. A moving ceremony at the Veteran's Memorial in Rural Hill Cemetary capped off the morning.

Wherever you are, whatever you did, I hope you paused a moment to remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy.


Unlike the Memorial Days of old, my birthday falls on Friday this year. Today was extra special though...Daniel and I celebrated our 24th Anniversary!

No comments: